This question could probably be posted in several areas, but what I am writing is a google maps application and I'm also pulling feeds, so I'm choosing this as the main category to post this question in.

Basically, I've pulled a feed from NOAA which gives me weather alerts. I would like to plot these areas on google maps, however, the geolocation coordinates they supply are 6 digit numbers which took me a few hours to find out what it is. It's a FIPS code - the first digit is the county subdivision, the first three digits are the state, and the last 3 digits are the county itself.

I am trying to turn this FIPS code into latitude/longitude coordinates or a zip code or an address or anything. I can geocode virtually anything except a FIPS code. I've found some very limited documentation and functionality on converting something to a FIPS code, but not vice-versa, which is what I am looking to do.

I thought about just creating a large file or a table in a db that would store the county name/state/whatever with its respective FIPS code for lookup, but after realizing that there are probably at least 100,000 of these codes - it's really not a practical solution.

Is there any lookup service out there from something stable/trustworthy that I can use to convert a FIPS code into something I can geocode, or is there some other programmatic way this can be accomplished?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are database available (paid) that contain US Zip codes with FIPS and lat/long data. I've not yet seen a free one that provides this. If you google "fips latitude longitude" you'll find several packages.

Pritaeas -- Thank you for your reply.

We are looking into these packages now.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.