Are you planning on getting the vaccine as soon as it becomes available to you, after it’s been a bit more thoroughly vetted, or not at all?

Personally, I think it was pushed through just a bit too fast for my liking. I’m holding off until they see what long term side effects and efficacy are.

rproffitt commented: Have you changed your mind yet? Let's talk about the data so far. +0
webmaker commented: absolutely no mrna is not safe and is not a vaccine… +0

Recommended Answers

All 47 Replies

I may have an advantage since I was researching mRNA vaccines in February 2020 for stock investment purposes.

I'll note that back then three companies had the mRNA vaccine "blueprint" and samples so the work has been going on for longer than most know.

mRNA vaccines have been in development for a very long time. 1989 is noted at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNA_vaccine

I disagree with articles calling this "new."

My brother participated in the trials and I'll take it when available.

My older son is a bio-physicist and assures me of the safety (barring a rare allergic reaction) of mRNA vaccines, particularly for me because I cannot be given live vaccines. As someone who has the trifecta of risk factors (old, cancer, depressed immune system) I will likely qualify for the second wave of vaccinations. It can't come too soon.

commented: (joke) "Is it safe?" I don't know Jimmy, I'm not a Fox news anchor person. +0

I am afraid to make a vaccine, it seems to me that it is not really clear how it affects the body

commented: I can only guess you have a typo/error here. Few in the world make/create vaccines. +0

Quick biology lesson <edit - please see my post later in this thread for a correction>

Cells are made up (mostly) of cytoplasm. The cytoplasm creates proteins using instructions from messenger RNA (mRNA). When you get a virus your immune system creates mRNA to tell the cells how to create antibodies.

Most vaccines contain a weakened or dead strain of a virus. Your immune system reacts the same way it would to a live virus by creating antibodies to attack the virus. The new covid-19 vaccinations do not use a weakened or dead virus. Instead they bypass the first step and use mRNA created in a lab to tell the immune system how to create the antibodies. Sufficient testing has been done to ensure that the risk of taking the vaccine is far lower than the risk of dying from covid-19.

We have all heard about the rare case where someone has died because they were wearing a seatbelt (stuck in a submerged or burning vehicle). However, as with the vaccine, your chances of dying because you were wearing the seatbelt are insignificant to the chances of dying because you were not wearing it.

And consider this, your not wearing a seatbelt in no way affects my health or the health of your friends and family, but your not getting the vaccine does.

Get the vaccine.

Further...

The problem with the flu is that because it takes time to create a large number of vaccines we have to hope that we guess correctly which strain will be predominant in a given season.

The flu virus, like covid-19, has stalks with a head. Mutations generally occur in the head and this is why we need a new flu vaccine every year. Antibodies for one strain attack the head. The stalk generally stays unchanged. New mRNA vaccines are being created to tell the immune system how to make antibodies that attack the stalk. This means that we could soon be able to create a generic flu vaccine. Even if it would still be required yearly, it would mean that the vaccine would be effective against all strains, not just the one we think is most likely to be the dominant strain in a given year.

You get vaccinated.
Suddenly, you need to do an MRI.
The chip starts magnetising.
Your actions:

commented: Nice. Free 5G! +0

If this thing makes us feel safe and travel without fear of getting ill I'll get it (give me this vaccine!).
Seems like we should get vaccinated sooner or later and no alternatives.

I'm getting my 5G Nanobot injection tomorrow! ??!!!

PS. "Is it safe?" I don't know Jimmy, I'm not a Fox news anchor person.

Yes, I will get vaccinated. I am not against mandatory vaccinations for Covid,
either as a mom, or a healthcare provider. That’s because I know vaccines work.
Moreover, it’s about saving lives.

I'd like to add a correction to my earlier post about mRNA vaccines.

Conventional vaccines contain a weakened or dead strain of a virus. Your immune system reacts the same way it would to a live virus by creating antibodies to attack the virus. The new covid-19 vaccines do not use a weakened or dead virus. The mRNA vaccines encode the spikes, but not the body of the virus. The spikes are what allow the virus to attach to cells and replicate. It is the body of the virus that is dangerous. Your immune system reacts to the spike mRNA by creating the same antibodies that would be created by the actual virus so when you are exposed to the actual virus, the antibodies bind to the spikes, preventing the virus from infecting cells and replicating.

Where most of the new vaccines use mRNA, the Astrazeneca vaccine uses double stranded DNA packaged in a chimpanzee adenovirus. This virus is used to deliver the DNA payload but cannot replicate in a human host. Double stranded DNA is less fragile than mRNA which is why the AZ vaccine can be stored at more normal temperatures.

As a side note, there is evidence (currently unverified by larger studies) that people who have suffered long term disability after recovering from covid-19 have seen imporovement after receiving the vaccine.

I get my shot on April 12.

commented: (engaging joke mode) "I now get full bars on my phone." Last week was my second dose! +0

Concerning "efficacy", while the various vaccines differ in the efficacy rates (the ability to prevent infection), all of the vaccines are 100% effective in preventing death due to covid-19. Even with a vaccine efficacy of 67%, if you get the vaccine and subsequently develop covid-19 your symptoms will be mild enough that you will not require hospitalization.

Get the vaccine. The one you should get is the one you are offered.

commented: The Polio Vaccine was (only?) 70% effective yet it changed the course of history. +0

I’m scheduled to get the vaccine tomorrow. What should I expect? I don’t know which one I’m getting yet.

Mary and I received the Pfizer vaccine. We are in the 65 and older group (not by much) and for us it was just a sore muscle for a week or so.

I have some allergies so I brought along my epinephrine inhaler as a precaution but nothing happened both times.

I'm due on Monday - also in the post 65 crowd. I've got PHPT (pains here, pains there) so one more in the short term won't matter. Unfortunately, we are due for 12-15 cm of snow that day so whoops.

I'm due on Monday - also in the post 65 crowd. I've got PHPT (pains here, pains there) so one more in the short term won't matter. Unfortunately, we are due for 12-15 cm of snow that day so whoops.

Thats good that you will get vaccinated. I hope it will help you out.
Please share your experince with us after you get vaccinated. May
the World is safe from covid-19.

I got Pfizer as well. It made me very groggy the rest of the day. Also, muscle soreness in my arm. No other symptoms thankfully. I have the second dose scheduled for three weeks from now.

Just got back from my shot. I walked in at 12:40 and was out by 1:30. It was like a trip to Disney World without the fun. No soreness, no tiredness. Nothing.

I forgot to ask, although there was a sign up that said that info would be available to my by email within 48 hours. I don't really have a preference other than "the one I can get right now" as they should all work well enough to keep me from getting sick if Ii am exposed, and there is very little chance of that. Although or provincial doctor person just said (I'm paraphrasing) there are still apparently too many <very rude word> morons out there because it looks like we are entering a third wave. For a while our active cases was going steadily down and our new cases were running around 50-70 per day but now we are back around 150 per day and our active cases is now steadily increasing.

We've had a couple of rural churches that have ignored the provincial order to close. I don't know why the authorities don't just go to those churches, chain the doors shut and hand out a mess of fines. What's the point in having laws to protect the public if you don't enforce them? Apparently the likelihood of dying isn't enough to deter some people.

Here's my experience. I was eligible fairly early (over 65 group comes after health & first-responeders in my state) and got both Pfizer shots last month. Minor sore arm for about 4 days after the first one, but no big deal. Really tired for a couple days after the second one. I wasn't feeling sick, really. It was a feeling like my battery was on 5% or so. Other than that, everything is fine. I haven't sprouted any new limbs or organs, and don't feel much smarter or dumber than usual.

I look at it this way. You can still die in a car accident even with seat belts and air bags. Your odds are better with belts and bags, though. Currently In the US, about a thousand people die of COVID-19 each week. I don't hear about hospitalization or death rates as even having a statistic among the vaccinated. At least 20% of the US population is fully vaccinated now, with priority having gone mostly to individuals with the highest risk factors. If the vaccines weren't working--and working darned well--you'd see numbers by now.

There have been concerns, first with the Astrazeneca vaccine, and now with the J&J vaccine, that they may cause blood clots in some people.

1. It has yet to be proven that the vaccine was the cause of the clots
  2. The chance of getting blood clots if you get covid-19 are exponentially greater
  3. Birth control pills carry a much higher risk of blood clots (and people still take those)

Even without covid-19 and the vaccines, a certain number of people are still going to get blood clots. Without proper studies we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that A causes B (post hoc ergo propter hoc).

commented: they also ask here if you are on anti-trombosis meds and will not vaccinate you if you are, pretty much preventing any clotting problems. +0

Took it already. I understand your concerns but in my view it is kind of the human race fighting the virus. If the vaccine is one of the possible ways to beat the virus I need to give my contribution.

got my first shot about 2 weeks ago. Apart from the usual stiffness in the arm for a few hours after the injection (I have that with any vaccine), I didn't have any side effects except this very bad urge to bite people in the neck and suck out their blood.
Help?

Got the second dose and still don't have the promised 5G connection in my brain.
Where do I file a complaint?

commented: Since the second dose I've had that urge as well,and I can see in the dark too. Do you wake up in crazy places? I do. +0

Mine was bluetooth. And of course they used the wrong version so it won't connect to anything. In another three days I can get my "fully vaccinated" card/digital token so I won't have to self-isolate when going from province to province.

I was afraid I might misplace my vaccination card. Good thing you can buy replacements on the web today. ?.

You can get all other kinds of fake ID online. Why not vaccination cards as well. I just wish when they announced the v-cards they also mentioned the massive penalty for making/carrying a fake one. That was one of the big reasons Manitoba became the US/Canada hot spot. They made all these restrictions against public gatherings, which shops could stay open, how many people could be in a store at one time, etc. Then they made the penalties for violating the public health order way too small, and handed out more warnings than actual fines. With very little chance of actual consequences (other than getting sick and dying), too many people just went on with business as usual.

Of course, it didn't help that public figures like Jason Kenney (premier of Alberta) very publicly flaunted his own rules (then lied about it).

commented: Right or wrong, I am lumping politicians who are anti-mask/anti-vax into the group we call mass murderers. There, I've written it here and elsewhere. +0

Government here gives you a vaccination card with printed on it in bold that it can't be used as proof of vaccination...
IOW it's a nice memento of your time in the vaccination location but other than that it's useless.

Wonder how they're going to integrate with the EU wide "vaccine certificate" program that is supposed to go life next month.
Will everyone need to be vaccinated again to qualify for that given that we have no official way to prove we've already been vaccinated? It wouldn't surprise me.

commented: Typical gov program (i.e. f### up again.) Sure let's mention what party is fighting over vaccine passports. +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.