I have developed a forum online for people to talk about movies. I have gone to another forum and tried to promote it and I get bashed by the other members for doing so. Cany anyone offer me advice on how to gain members for my community?
Thank you.

First bit of advice is don't do what you've just done. The reason for this horrible method is that:

1. It highlights you as a spammer/nuisance to the site;
  2. It demonstrates that you have no interest in their site;
  3. It looks as if you are trying to poach their members for your site.

If you are a member of another forum that permits links in signatures then put your link in your signature. Stay at the forum, get to know the people, and contribute - they'll then see that you are not only interested in your site and members, in my experience, are quite happy to share their time with your forum.

Put your forum in a few link directories (such as DMOZ) too.

Wise words from a wise Stew...

art.

Tell your friends, put a link in your sig and find other forums of your intrest and hope it perks people into joining.

you can also buy some advertising - Google Adwords is a pretty good method for this.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.