When a shortcut was added to the Desktop on XP it was placed at the end of list on the screen. Now, on Windows7, when a new shortcut is added it gets put immediately below the Computer icon at top left. Is this a Vista/W7 thing? I've tried changing the various options available with a right click. 'View' option has the bottom four selected and the 'Sort by' option has nothing selected.
Funny, I just noticed that CCleaner installed itself at the end, why can't the others?
Is there some way to stop this positioning problem?

Uncheck 'Auto Arrange' from Arrange Icons Options.

That's not quite what I had in mind. I have just installed something and the icon is at the end of the list on the desktop, but when I rebooted this morning there were icons between Computer and Recycle Bin that weren't there last night! I definitely remember being able to do this quite easily on XP. When I wanted to move the icons around they did auto arrange quite happily, so that I could have certain icons in certain positions on the desktop. Has Auto Arrange changed functionality? Even with it off icons seem to have moved about!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.