Pls let me know which tool or software to use to develop mobile app. I have 27 yes exp in vb6 and sql. Need to change to mobile app. Pls guide

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

In one way, it depends on whether you are targetting iOS or Android. For the former, you would natively use Swift, while for the latter you would natively use Java.

However, there are a number of tools for cross-platform development, of varying quality, some of which work with C#, JavaScript, Clojure, Python, or even VB.Net, so you have a variety of options for this. While it wouldn't be ideal, you can work in VB.Net if you choose (though not VB6, which is long, long out of support).

My own choice would be Clojure, but then I am insane like that. :-)

As for database use, it would depend on whether you need the database to be local to the mobile device, or remote on a server. For device-local databases, you would usually use SQLite, which is somewhat more limited than a full SQL RDBMS. Server databases can use whatever you choose, more or less, but you'd need some means of connecting to it remotely, which usually means some sort of server-side programming in addition to the SQL database.

commented: My thought is VB6 is Blue Pill, Clojure and such is Red Pill. +0

The tools can vary for iOS and Android. There are some cross platform tools but for iOS you might not be surprised at having to invest a few thousand for the usual Apple laptop and iPhone to develop and test on. For Android I went with Google's own Android Studio.

My journey to Android has decades of prior programming projects including the Palm Pilot, Windows Mobile and others. The jump to Android app development wasn't instant or fast. I think it was about 3 months of work till I was able to show the new apps to my clients.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.