Hello everyone.

I already know the C code required to use SQL statements within C++. Using mysql_real_connect, I was able to establish a connection to a remote MySQL server. The problem is, even though mysql_real_connect did not RETURN NULL, (meaning that a connection to the mysql server was established) I am unable to create databases, OR new tables using the MySQL handle obtained (via the mysql_real_connect function).

int errorcheck;
errorcheck = mysql_real_connect(conn, "myipaddress", "myusername", "mypassword", NULL, 0, NULL, 0);
if (errorcheck != NULL)
{MessageBox(hWnd, "Connection to server successful!", "Connection Status", MB_OK};

Questions:
-Is it possible for mysql_real_connect to not be null, but still be unsuccessful?
-What are the exact return values for: mysql_query, mysql_select_db, and mysql_real_connect?

Notes:
-I have already ensured that "remote" access to the mySQL database was permitted.
-I already know that mysql_real_connect returns NULL if a connection was not established to the MySQL server. However, I do not know if any other return values can be returned other than NULL or success.

may be this bellow code snippet help you to print out what is the error goes on
actually.

MYSQL mysql;

mysql_init(&mysql);
mysql_options(&mysql,MYSQL_READ_DEFAULT_GROUP,"your_prog_name");
if (!mysql_real_connect(&mysql,"host","user","passwd","database",0,NULL,0))
{
    fprintf(stderr, "Failed to connect to database: Error: %s\n",
          mysql_error(&mysql));
}

please note I caught that code from there.http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysql-real-connect.html where the MySql API documentation for C language interface.

Thank you for your reply. I've found the problem.. Rather simple really.. I was using the wrong mysql connector as the first arguement. I created two MYSQL variables. One was initiated, and the other was not. I used the one that was not initiated inside of my sql statements.

Also, I was aware of that site, as well as the code required to display the conflicting error.. but that was not sufficient information to figure out why I could not create any tables on a valid connection.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.