This is what I read about it.

virtual base class becomes common direct base for the derived class

So my question is exactly what does this mean.

What I believe it means.

class A
{
protected:
int a;
public:
virtual int get_a();
A(void);
~A(void);
};

With an inherited class of B

class B : public virtual B 
{
protected:
int b;
public:
virtual int get_b();
B(void);
~B(void);
};

My assumption is that when a program is created in C++ there is a batch of memory where the functions for each class are held. Whenever I do something like A.get_a() it grabs the function from that pool of memory and processes it like you would expect a function to do so. If I do a non-virtual inheritance my assumption is that it grabs get_a() function from the pool of memory set for class A. However, if it is virtually inherited than a copy of get_a() exists in both the pool memory for class A function and class B functions if directly inherited without modification as shown.

I think this is wrong because I don't see the utility of it unless virtual can be applied in some way I'm not aware. Like maybe a virtual static member so each virtual inherited member gets it's own copy because they might need to be slightly different.

Hi,

Inheritance with virtual functions and virtual inheritance are two different things. After reading your initial question, I think you first need to read about normal inheritance with virtual functions.

Virtual functions are for implementing polymorphism.
If a class is derived from another class and when you create a object of the derived class, contiguous memory is allocated for the entire object: memory needed for base class + derived class.

See the following example:

class A{
	int a;
        virtual int getInt(){ return a;}
};

class B : A{
	int b;
        virtual int getInt(){ return b;}
};

B objectB; // size of objectB will be 16, 4 for int a from class A and 4 from int b from class B and 8 byte for virtual function.

Notice only one pointer (8 byte) allocated for virtual function getInt() in vtable. Not two pointers for getInt() in A and getInt() in B.

I hope you know how virtual functions work, so i am not giving any example of how to use getInt(), but if you dont know, let me know.
for further reading, see below:
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/polymorphism/

Virtual inheritance is used to answer the problem of memory of multiple inheritance.
Notice following code:

class A{
	int a[1000];
};

class B : public  A{
	int b;
};

class C: public  A{
	int c;
};

class Final: public B, C{

};

//What will be the size of Final? there is common A through B and C, so how it will be treated? size of Final will be 8008, it allocated two int a[1000] for B and C

What will be the size of Final? there is common A through B and C, so how it will be treated? size of Final will be 8008, it allocated two int a[1000] for B and C
to avoid this you need virtual inheritance, then it will share memory for A.

see the code below:

class A{
		int a[1000];
	};

class B : public virtual A{ //notice virtual
		int b;
	};

class C: public  virtual A{ //notice virtual
		int c;
	};

class Final: public B, C{ 

};

Now size of final will be: 4032. as Final will have common A through B and C. Here is the break down of the memory allocation:
4000 for int array.
4 for int c in C + 4 byte padding.
4 for int b in B + 4 byte padding.
16 byte for vtable pointer.

I hope it helps to understand virtual inheritance.
For further reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_inheritance
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/multiple-inheritance.html

commented: pretty good! +14

Now size of final will be: 4032. as Final will have common A through B and C. Here is the break down of the memory allocation:
4000 for int array.
4 for int c in C + 4 byte padding.
4 for int b in B + 4 byte padding.
16 byte for vtable pointer.

Just a correction on the breakdown of memory allocation. None of the classes have virtual functions, so they will not have vtable pointers. Here is the correct breakdown (in order):
4000 bytes for int array in A.
8 bytes for the pointer to the virtual base-class (A) object of B.
4 bytes + 4 bytes padding for the int b in B.
8 bytes for the pointer to the virtual base-class (A) object of C.
4 bytes + 4 bytes padding for the int c in C.
___
4032 bytes in total.

In order to implement virtual inheritance, all the classes that are virtually derived from a base-class will need a pointer to the "this" pointer of the virtual base-class because it could move with respect to the derived class's "this" pointer depending on the overall inheritance hierarchy.

I also recommend Marshall Cline's explanations of it. Here

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.