Hi, I have one Win Form app to load Excel data into DataGridView. I want to store DataGridView data into MS Access database. Everithing works great, but in some cases inside ExcelFile I have single quote mark, which breaks SQL Syntax. My question is, How to find & replace "'" with "I" on a first step (while populating DataGridView).?

This is the part of my code

Private Sub Button2_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
        Try
            openfiledialog.InitialDirectory = My.Computer.FileSystem.SpecialDirectories.Desktop
            openfiledialog.Filter = "Excel Files (*.xlsx)|*.xlsx"
            If openfiledialog.ShowDialog(Me) = System.Windows.Forms.DialogResult.OK Then
                Dim fi As New IO.FileInfo(openfiledialog.FileName)
                Dim filename As String = openfiledialog.FileName
                excel = fi.FullName
                conn = New OleDbConnection("provider=microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data source=" + excel + ";Extended Properties='Excel 12.0;HDR=NO;IMEX=1';")
                dta = New OleDbDataAdapter("Select * from [List1$] ", conn)
                dts = New DataSet
                dta.Fill(dts, "[List1$]")
                DataGridView1.DataSource = dts
                DataGridView1.DataMember = "[List1$]"
                conn.Close()

End If
        Catch ex As Exception
            MsgBox(ex.Message)
            conn.Close()
            Exit Sub
        End Try
    End Sub

You should try and loop through each row adn catch the characters you want to replace rather than just copying the entire file over via your list box.

commented: I wasn't clear enough... I'm looking for some loop code, to implement in this one. I need to read file for later tasks in my app +2

Something like this

For i As Int32 = 0 To DataGridView2.Rows.Count - 1

Dim val = DataGridView2.Rows(i).Cells(5).Value.ToString().Replace("'", "I")

Next

Makes sense, see if the below will work for you. Keep in mind I did not do vb code for quite some time but this will give you the general idea -

For i As Int32 = 0 To DataGridView2.Rows.Count - 1
    Dim xCol = not sure what to use here for coloumn(Cells) count...
    Dim valcol = DataGridView2.Rows(i).Cells(xCol).Value
    if valcol =  "'"
        DataGridView2.Rows(i).Cells(xCol).Value.ToString().Replace("'", "I")
    End If        
Next
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.