I have a VB.net project that queries my online database directly. Now I want to use API instead of direct connection. Please I have never done such before and all materials I got online are not learning friendly and some that are friendly didn't have relation with database.

And secondly, how to consume it from my VB.net program.

Thanks for your response in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I don't know .NET, but I've written an API before, and this is a bit of a loaded question. What exactly do you mean by you're looking to use an API instead of a direct connection to the database? Do you mean to just create classes that abstract away the database connection details? Or are you wanting to create a RESTful API for other users of your API to consume?

commented: I want to write API for my VB.net application to consume. It will be able to get data from my online MySql databasa and also send data to my online db +0

Donnolic commented: I want to write API for my VB.net application to consume. It will be able to get data from my online MySql databasa and also send data to my online db +0

Hi,

No, I get that. Can you please just clarify what the purpose of your API is? Is it an internal or external API? Also, where are you stuck, specifically? What about it is confusing you?

commented: Is will be internal. The purpose is to retrieve data from my database and also send data into my database just on a button click from my VB desktop ap +0

I see. I guess for starters, how are you currently retrieving and sending data from/to your database? What are you hoping to get out of abstracting that into an internal API?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.