Hi all

I am creating an application for registration form where if user select a city from the drop down list box in the state list box corresponding state should be selected automatically.

Please help me ..., its very urgent

thanks

Not clear what your requirement is. Selecting state from the drop down should make selected what?

hi
thanks for ur reply
there is a list box with various cities and another list box is for states.Whenever i select a city from the list corresponding state should be selected automatically in the state list box.

thanks again!

hi!

iam a cpp developer.. i dont have indepth knowledge in js.
though i can give u the logic!

i got to know this from my colleague and replying you!

1. while declaring each items for the city combo box, maintain one custom variable and give it a number say for chennai, while declaring this option item, ,assign it a number say id = 1.
2. similaryly for all the cities that comes inside tamilnadu maintain the same id (i.e 1).
3. similaryly while delcaring the option items for the state combo-box, maintain the same numbers.
For example : while declaring tamilnadu option-item, assign it the number 1.
4. hence in the onchange event of the city combo box, get the option-item's number you have specified. (if you choosing chennai, the number you specified is 1, get that in a variable)
5. now iterate the numbers you have maintained for the states, and whichever state corresponds to this number, set that as the selected item in the state combo-box.

hence you can have like this:

cities :

chennai - 1
coimbatore - 1
bangalore - 2
mumbai - 3

states:
tamilnadu - 1
karnataka - 2
maharashtra - 3

hope it will help you!

Thanks,
Arun P.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.