I am attempting to build a rig with the following setup:

C2d 1.86ghz
ASUS P5L-MX LGA 775 Intel 945G Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
2GB Corsair Value Ram
320 WD HD
ATI X1650 Video Card
Roswill 480w PSU

This is a budget build so as you can see with the above listed parts, I tryed to save some money.

I put everything together, as I have done in the past ( 4th build) and tryed to power it up. The CPU fan turns, the video fan turns, I hear the HDD booting. I hear the customary one beep when you turn on the unit. But i get no video at all. I tryed the on board video and still nothing. I am going to sleep on it and try again in morning. I have a few questions;

1. Can the onboard video work witth he Video card attached to the MBO? Just for testing purposes.

2. Right after I initially pushed the power button for my first test I noticed that the CPU fan was not plugged in ( I know!) and I immidiatley shut down the PSU. Could this short time with no CPU fan have fried the chip?

3. The case is cheap, I wont ever buy this type again. (link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811156053) It comes with three (yes 3!) standoff's. Instead the MBO tray has raised "bubble-like" areas that fit the MBO perfectly. Has anyone had experiece with this type of case? I was thinking no standoff's=fried MBO's. There are like two standoff's placed at other points on the MBO.

One last note. When the PSU is powered on there IS a green light that goes on on the MBO.
All these items are from NEWEGG.com and I can RMA any of them. I have never run into this problem before and just need some help figuring out what it is. Since there is no video at all, I am assuming it is a fried MBO or bad video card.

Sorry this is so long, and thanks in advance for your assistance.

bad RAM, CPU, Video or Mobo yeah

Which Crucial modules did you use? ASUS can be a little picky about what RAM it likes.

It was the case. It has bubble'd out area's that you screw the MBO into instead of standoff's. It was creating a grounding issue with the board. I obtained a different case and it works like a charm. thanks

yeah i was gonna mention that. Usually the idea is tha that you put foam in that slot, no? thats how it is in my server + media centre pcs

yea this case was like $20 bucks on newegg....didnt come with anything like that. Def. wont be buying cheap case again...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.