Well, this is embarrassing. I had to completely rebuild my laptop from scratch. I usually keep 3 or 4 items pinned to the taskbar and launch them with WINKEY-1, WINKEY-2, etc but somehow or other this no longer works. I really should know how to do this but I just cannot remember how to enable the WINKEY-# hotkey for the taskbar. Anbyone out there recall how? That's the trouble with restoring from images. You forget how to do the basic stuff.

learn something new everyday ,it works on mine ,and i never set it to do it , so it must be default ,from left to right they are numbered from 1 to how ever many you have on the taskbar

found it ,open gpedit ,i think
start /gpedit.msc in the search field and open it 'in fo on web was for winxp but it was there in win7 also .
Start - Run
gpedit.msc
=======
User Configuration --- Administrative templates\Windows Components\Windows
Explorer
Double click "Turn off Windows +X hotkeys" and set it to "Not Configured"
===
your may say turn on as it maybe turn off ,or this may not solve you problem .

also never thought we had so much control of such things on my computer

That's what I thought except when I do WINKEY-1 or WINKEY-2, neither of the pinned items starts. Just noticed another strange thing. I never used to have to log in to DaniWeb on every visit. My session was "remembered" through a cookie. Now I have to log in every time. Hmmmm..

weird

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.