Hi, folks.

I have written some pretty complicated programs in Javascript (in terms of the code itself), but I haven’t experimented much with the nuts-and-bolts of Javascript. In particular, I have written all my programs as single blocks of code. For example, I have written several programs to solve for the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of matrices. One page solves for a 3 x 3 matrix, one for a 4 x 4 matrix, one for a 5 x 5 matrix, etc. Each javascript program is on its own page and takes the following form:

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
<!--Define JavaScript function.-->

function OneBigProgram(dataForm){

// Code to input the matrix elements for the specifically-sized matrix

. . .

// Code to calculate the eigenvalues and eigenvectors
// BIG BLOCK OF CODE
. . .

// Code to output the results for the specifically-sized matrix
 . . . 

// end of JavaScript-->
</script>

The algorithm for actually calculating the eigenvalues and eigenvectors does not change depending upon matrix size, it is included in the BIG BLOCK OF CODE.

What I am hoping to do now is turn the code block for the BIG BLOCK OF CODE into an external file, and have the several programs refer to it. That way, I won't have six programs include the same big block of code; they can all refer to the same external file--saving space on the server. For example:

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
<!--Define JavaScript function.-->

function A_Smaller_Program_Input(dataForm){

// Code to input the matrix elements for the specifically-sized matrix

. . .

// end of JavaScript-->
</script>
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="RoutineforEigenvalues.js">
</script>
function A_Smaller_Program_Output(dataForm){

// Code to output the results for the specifically-sized matrix

. . .

// end of JavaScript-->
</script>

Is what I want to do possible? How seamlessly does Javascript transmit data between seemingly independent code blocks?

You have the right syntax. Just save your program as eigenValues3.js and then if you want to write a program that needs that file you just "import" it as follows:

<html>
<head>
<script type="text/javascript" src="eigenValue3.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
//The code that will use the functions in eigenValue3.js goes here
</script>
</head>
<body>...
</body>
</html>

Note: 1. You do not have to do the "import" within the <head> tag. It could have done withing the <body> tag.
2. <script> tags that are used to import files cannot enclose javascript code (or at least this was the case last time I tested this about 1yr ago). That's why I have two <script> tags above. The first one to import the file. The second to write my code for my local/current page.
3. You do not need language="javascript". Providing type="text/javascript" will suffice.

thanks for the help on this.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.