I am having a problem understanding the following ...

I am an okay web developer. I am not great. But I want to make money from my skills.
Having said that, when I go to websites like Freelancer to search for a project to work on everyone is asking for an exceptional developer and they pay very little. I don't know how are average joey's make it in this business.

What is your take on this?

rproffitt commented: From what I've read from you, you are above average. +17

Hello,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I am of the opinion that you can't really make a decent amount of money as a web developer just with "average" skills. As you point out, "average" freelancers are a dime a dozen on sites such as Upwork and Fiverr, and there's not really a meaningful way to stand out unless you have a specific niche and you dominate that niche from a marketing standpoint. e.g. You can be the go-to web developer for mom-and-pop shoe stores, and, with excellent marketing skills, carve out a reputation for yourself such that anyone in the shoe industry knows you're that guy.

The thing is that everyone and their mother has a Wordpress blog these days, and it's so easy to create websites with free platforms such as Wix. My personal opinion, and, again, this is just an opinion, is that you're just a commodity. And the only way to sell a commodity is with a creative and unique marketing spin.

I also just want to add that my response is strictly a response to you stating you have "just okay" skills. I am not basing my response on whether I think you actually are or aren't a stand-out developer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.