So this marks my very first forum page on this great database of information named DANIWEB.

So just quickly, as i am still in school and learning python, I really need to know, just an explination on:

The def statement, what you can do with it and how to use it?

and:

The import statement, what you can do with it, how to use it and what you can import.

As a school project we are creating a text based game, a lot like Zork. I have to say we are going well and I have coined a lot of ideas of here. Any help will be appreciated

The keyword def is used to define functions (and methods, when you start studying classes and objects). It essentially allows you to give a name to a piece of code, so that you can use it over and over. For example, this is a one line function, followed by a for: loop that calls it five times:

def star():
   print '*',

for i in range(5):
    star()

Functions are also used to break the program up into easy to understand pieces. You can pass information to a function by passing it arguments, and the function can return a result. For example, this function calculates the area of a cube:

def cubeArea(size):
    return (size ** 2) * 6   # the area of each side, times the number of sides 

area = cubeArea(4)           # area should now equal 96

The import keyword is used to get functions and constants from other files of source code, called modules. Python includes a large library of modules which you can import, and you can import from a module you've written yourself into another module.

Awesome mate, thats exactly what I was looking for.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.