please could you help, ive got a vista computer and when i log in i have to keep pressing ctrl+alt+del to startup task manager and start a new task 'explorer.exe' could you let me know whats wrong or what needs to be done please

This lil batch file will query what entry is currently in the key resposible for launching explorer.exe as your shell at startup; it will then replace whatever exists with the correct value. Please mention if the notepad that opens is empty.
==Copy the text between the lines to a notepad [format/wordwrap unchecked] and save as showkey.bat, as type "all files", to your desktop; dclick it to run, then post the file C:\showkey.txt
start C:\showkey.txt

thank you very much, this has sorted my problem out

May I ask what the notepad reported as previously in the key for "Shell" = ?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.